Take this class to learn what a TIG welding machine is and how to use one. This great intro class will cover basic techniques for TIG welding, through demonstration, and give you hands-on welding experience. We will also discuss welding safety, and some basics about what TIG welding is and how it is applied in industry.
PLEASE READ BELOW FOR THE RECOMMENDED CLOTHING TO WEAR TO CLASS.
– Overview of Welding Safety.
– Explanation of a TIG welder and how to adjust and operate the unit.
– Demonstration on how to sharpen and install tungsten rod.
– Demonstration on how to form and maintain a weld puddle.
– Demonstration on how to add filler metal to a weld puddle.
– Demonstration on how to connect to pieces of metal together.
– Each of these demonstrations will have a hands on experience portion for students.
Hacker Lab Resident Members: Please bring $10 for Materials Fee to pay the instructor. All other students, the Materials Fee is built into the class fee.
How to Prepare
Wear 100% cotton pants (jeans) and a long sleeve 100% cotton shirt. Closed toe shoes, leather boots are ideal. Don’t wear anything that you don’t mind getting dirty and possibly burnt. Bring safety glasses,leather gloves, welding helmet and welding jacket if you have them.
What will you get out of this class?
Students will finish the class with an understanding of the components, adjustments of a TIG welder and experience welding mild steel. Upon completion of the class students will also be prepared to attend the Metal Fabrication Labs, which will give students an opportunity to work on their own metal fabrication projects.
This class is a prerequisite for the Intermediate TIG class.
About the Instructor
Trent Dean is a craftsman with skills in both Wood Shop and Metal Shop. He creates furniture from exotic woods, using the ShopBot, then gives them legs using his skills with metals and welding. Trent is skilled at translating his design ideas into usable, creative furniture.